Friday, July 01, 2011

FROM
http://robertoreg.blogspot.com/2010_01_17_archive.html

Got to the beach & enjoyed the evening dancing with the Sea Hags & Mermaids @ a local Laguna Beach dive.

View looking east from my fifth floor room @ Sugar Sands http://www.sugarsands.com/


View looking west toward Santa Monica & Sunnyside Beach

Sign @ The Laguna Beach Christian Retreat

Woke up the next day and read in the paper about the turtle rescue so I headed for St. Joe Bay.
http://www.newsherald.com/articles/continues-80451-joe-port.html.

This four man airboat was the work horse of the effort. I have a shot of it loaded down with turtles but the images are in my bad camera.

By Wednesday, over 1200 turtles had been rescued & taken to Gulf World in Panama City Beach but many did not survive.

They had 18 of the giant loggerheads in one tank @ Gulf World.

Walmart & Florida Linen donated towels & kiddie pools to warm the turtles up in.



Lots of turtles



Lots of them had gotten too cold & didn't make it

The ones that did survive are being returned to the warmer deep water by the Coast Guard & the Navy.

Cape San Blas & The St. Joseph Peninsula are a spectacular wilderness but it was COLD!

It were so cold a damn mockingbird tried to fly into the cab of my truck!



Saw lots of deer out on the Cape Saturday & Sunday but I saw a lot more later in the week @ St. Andrews State Park but it was too dark for me to get pictures.


I did get some superb shots of the raccoons feeding out @ the end of the jetties. It was one of the few times I ever went out on the jetties & noone was there.


It's weird to see coons hanging out in the rocks a half mile out in the Gulf.





They built a nice exhibit to Teddy the Hermit inside the Interpretive Center @ St. Andrews State Park.


They have his grinding stone on display. I visited the spot where his boat ran aground in '29 and also the spot in the campground where he built his shack & smoke house.


They have a lot of Teddy's possessions on display which Mr. Willoughby, the park ranger, collected after Teddy's death @ age 72 in 1954.


Thanks to Charmin' Sharman http://www.southern-style.com/index.htm
I found Teddy's grave in Panama City's Greenwood Cemetery. On Beach Drive in St. Andrews, I also found a fence & a chimney constructed out the same kind of ballast rocks which came from Teddy's boat that Willoughby put on Teddy's grave.


This is Lake Caroline one cold morning.


The old cabin on Beach Drive built in 1934 by Lillian Carlisle West,the wife of George Mortimer West,the founding father of Panama City.


I really enjoyed hanging out in Downtown Panama City.


The Old City Hall in Panama City

I took the Historic Walking Tour of Downtown. http://bayhistory.org/


The old Martin Theatre where my Daddy Earl took me when he let me play hookie one day in the third grade & go with him to Panama City.


Goofy Golf opened the same year that I was in the third grade,1959!




51 years of Goofy Golf!


I ate lunch @ J. Michael's almost every day.


A painting in the new Panama City library.

I used the computers @ The Panama City Beach Library, the Panama City Library & The new South Walton Library.


Our old buddy, Michael McCarty, had an exhibit up @ The South Walton Library


Mike,his wife Sherri & I attended the opening of the 30A Songwriter's Festival @ Bud & Alley's Friday & Saturday night we went to a party @ a house in Watercolor & they had a surprise birthday party for Sherri's 60th Birthday. It was a BLAST! Photos are coming on that one!

Anywayzzzzzz... I'm well rested & ready to experience culture shock again tomorrow when I return to the mean skreets of TUSKEELOOSEE!

BEST,
r

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home