Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Hey y'all~

I watched in horror as tonight's events unfolded on my TV screen.
Finally, I'd seen more than I could take & I decided to go check my email.

I opened the following email from Frank Tanton & the song he shared with me triggered a forty year old bucketload of memories that flooded back into my mind's eye.

Here's a link to the latest tune from Project-X Studio (Frank's Garage)...
"The Ballad of Becky & Grover" was written by Dothan's own Robert Register and Richard Burke... It's my understanding that this song is based on "actual events" that occurred downtown in Dothan, Alabama, many years ago... (ask Robert)
I hope you like...


In October of 1968, Grover Moss murdered Becky Fellabella in her room at the HALF WAY HOUSE, an old two story boarding house on North St. Andrews in Dixie. Grover then took the little 9 shot 22 caliber owl head pistol he used on Becky & put it up to his own head.

I read about this murder-suicide in the Dothan Eagle as I drank my morning coffee in the Student Union Building at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. I knew both Grover & Becky so this tragic loss of life struck home with me.

In the summer of '68 I helped Grover cut the grass in both of the Dothan City Cemetaries. Becky would always show up each Friday afternoon to get some money from Grover so she could go down to the Green Front Store beside Barrentine's at Five Points to buy their weekend liquor.

Becky was a Yankee who waited tables at Oscar's & she shacked up with Grover in his little crib located behind the Coca Cola bottling plant across the street from the #1 Fire Station. She was the original WILD THANG & it always blew my mind to sit on the curb sipping on my cup of Uncle Ben's White Port & watch her flirt & rub her hands all over the old men who worked with me in the cemetery. I wouldn't let her touch me.

In the summer of '69 I went back to the cemetery crew & got the details of what happened to Grover & Becky. The man who cleaned up the murder scene told me the story & I wrote a poem about it. A couple of years later Richard Burke and I started writing songs using my poetry as lyrics so hearing THE BALLAD OF GROVER & BECKY brought back many pleasant reminiscences of sitting around Richard & Debbie's place at THE PALMS making our own music.

Muchas mis amigos!

It seems that one week Grover got Jesus, started going to church and quit liquor.



The story goes that Grover

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home